Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The never ending quest for a promotion

So far in 2006...

1) I am still looking for 'THE ONE'.
2) I went away for a month for business working alongside a guy who thinks he is entitled to cheat on his wife.
3) Now need to pack my bag because I love being a nomad and found the idea of moving at least once a year very enjoyable...

Things can only get better, as always.

Back to today... I spent yet another lazy day in the office doing nothing because I need an FTP server to complete my project. However, the customer seems to think that as long as the FTP server has an address I can route all the servers to it. How can I route a train to London if the tracks are at Newcastle, I wonder... Mr Customer, please put the FTP server on the management VLAN so I can point all the elements to it!!!

One thing I really hate about Telecom is the word 'ping'!!! 'I will ping you' 'Ping me when you are free' What has happened to the English Language?? Can't we all speak proper English by saying 'Please let me know when you are free?' Before you know it we will be referring someone who is sick as 'He got the Windows' blue' i.e. the famous blue screen of MS Windows!!!

After all the 'pinging', I had a conference call with my boss. He said he is happy with what I have done for the team during my first 6 months and now I need to show him I am worthy of promotion. In short, it means 'We will continue to pay you peanuts until we have some spare change'. Don't get me wrong, I think what I get is fair.

"Money is not everything, happiness is the holy grail of life"

What upset me the most isn't pay, isn't the overturned van that increased my drive home from 25 mins to 3 hours. It was the poor rabbit that got ran over by a car and had to crawl with her front legs on the roadside. When I first drove pass, I thought she was dead because a bird was 'pecking' at the body. Then I turned my car around and found that she was alive. I tried to pick her up and take her to a vet, but she was so frightened that she crawled away into the bush, almost got ran over by a car (didn't miss me by much). It was very upsetting, she must be in agony... I hope she will die peacefully tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home