Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Da Vinci Code fever

Having read the book last year, I have high expectation of the film. Especially with Ron Howard at the helm and Tom Hanks starring. However, just like most adaptations, it suffers from "a lack of time" and therefore a bit weak on character developments. In the book, Robert Langdon is very intelligent and have the capacity to break any codes because he can see through them. Tom Hanks is a great actor but he was nowhere near the Robert Langdon in the book. Ian Mckellen stolen the show completely being the badie. Audrey Tautou was absolutely stunning, much more attractive than the Sophie Neveu in the book. In fact, I can't believe she cuts her hair short because that hairstyle is perfect for her, worth paying the money just to watch her (shallowly speaking).

Dan Brown is a clever man. It is a thriller that 'hook' onto your mind so you have to read and read. I am not a book junkie but I read The Da Vinci Code in about 4 days. It is very easy to read, even for me. I am struggling to find a word for it because it isn't a great book, I don't want to use the word 'classic' either, but this book has the X factor about it.

A lot of people condenm the book which puzzles me. People are gifted to produce such things and to say it smear God is absolute nonsense. I am not on Dan Brown's side, but I agree that if The Da Vinci Code is a thriller, then how come The Bible isn't? We know for fact that it is written but a group of people, given order by a certain individual. Therefore, it is a story 'Period'. There are Japanese text books that claim that they didn't slaughter millions of Chinese during the second world war. If these books are 'selected' for history then after 2000 years, it will be almost as good as fact, which is the same as The Bible at this moment in time.

After watching The Da Vinci Code, I also watched 'Inside Man' - A film by Spike Lee. Without going into details I would like to say it is the usual Spike Lee, very clever film and the way the characters leverage each other is handled perfectly. It isn't the 'over the top' Spike Lee in some of his work. 'Inside Man' is certainly worth renting.

Since it is a bank holiday weekend I found time to watch my third film in a week. A girly film to some people, but I prefer the word RomCom. Just Like Heaven is quiet funny and Reese Witherspoon is getting better and better all the time. I didn't like her to begin with but in this film, she was much more at ease and came across much more nature than her earlier roles. I guess I watch these kind of RomCom because it never happen in real life. For a few pounds, you can find perfection in love that you will never find in real life. I always have a soft spot for these RomComs because they remind me to keep searching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home